Need help? Feel free to call us +603 7960 8823
Want to meet us?

C-15-05, Dataran 3 TWO, No.2 Jalan 19/1, 46300 Petaling Jaya Selangor

Monday - Friday (9AM - 5:30PM)

Renting the Right Home

Renting a residential property is quite normal when you need a place to stay near your workplace, but complications can arise if you are not cautious. Some of the considerations that come with renting a property include:

  • Location
  • Unit size and design
  • Physical condition
  • Furnishing
  • Monthly rent
  • Terms and conditions

The location of the property should be highly accessible to your workplace, and yet be a certain distance away from the main road. It is difficult to have a good rest if your home is close to roads with heavy traffic and noise pollution.

Next is the unit size and design of the property. How many people are staying in the property? Are there sufficient bedrooms and bathrooms for your needs? For those who believe in Feng Shui, is the main door located at the right location? What about the bedroom and kitchen? You may want to consider consulting a Feng Shui consultant for advice on this matter and to verify if the home you are renting is conducive to you and your family.

The physical condition of the home is also a very important matter. If it is a new property, it is less likely to have major defects compared to an old one. Regardless of the age of the property, it is advisable to exercise your due diligence and examine the property.

Do check the condition of the walls, ceilings, floors, water and electricity fittings. You may want to keep a lookout for defects that are not so obvious such as rough walls, which may be due to internal defects related to piping. You also need to consider the issue of whether to rent a property that is not furnished, partially furnished or fully furnished. A property that is not furnished may be available for a lower rent, but it can be quite a hassle if you want to transport your belongings to another place when your tenancy ends.

On the other hand, for a property that is furnished, it can be less troublesome for you as you could request for the landlord to replace existing furniture if there is wear and tear. However, you should look after the property that you rent to maintain a good relationship with the landlord and to establish your reputation as a good tenant.

It is quite common for tenancy agreements to require monthly and utility deposits. You should consult the landlord if you would like to sublet the property. Some landlords may agree to such requests, while others may not as they may prefer to limit the property to just a few tenants.

This is understandable as the landlord may be concerned about the upkeep of the unit once the tenancy expires. It is commonly expected for your landlord to carry out basic repairs such as keeping the installation of water, gas, electricity, sanitation and heating water in good working order.

It is implied that when you rent the property, you have the right to live peacefully in the accommodation without

disturbances from your landlord. Most tenants would change one of the locks of the property for peace of mind as perhaps quite a number of parties would have had access to the keys while the property was rented out.

You have an obligation to use your home in a tenant-like way, by not causing damage to the property, and by using the fixtures and fittings properly. You also have an obligation to provide access for any repair work that needs to be done and repair damages caused by you or any guest to the property during the period of your tenancy.

In conclusion, you should use common sense when renting a property. Find a place that is in good condition, and negotiate for fair terms, pay your rent on time and you will have a good home for conducive living.

Chan Ai Cheng
General Manager, S. K. Brothers Realty (M) Sdn Bhd Registered Estate Agent with the Board of Valuers, Appraisers and Estate Agents Malaysia (LPPEH), Member of the Institution of Surveyors Malaysia (ISM), and the Malaysian Institute of Estate Agents (MIEA), Registered Financial Consultant with the International Association of Registered Financial Consultants (IARFC), For any feedback on this article, please email